Job Title: Direct Support Professional
Reports To: Home Manager/Program Manager
Provides services and supports to people with developmental disabilities to ensure the health, welfare and safety while respecting individual choices and self-determination.
Qualifications and Other Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent and the ability to effectively communicate in written and oral form; basic math and money handling skills
- Prior Experience-General care giving experience preferred but not required; a steady, consistent employment history
- An acceptable physical examination with drug screen and evidence of no active TB by results of a Mantoux (2) Step test or chest x-ray.
- Acceptable background and related registry checks
- Valid Ohio driver license and a verifiable low risk driving record
- Must be able to obtain passing scores and physically perform all aspects of tasks related to mandated training including but not limited to first aid, CPR, medication administration, fire safety, severe weather and any future mandated training.
Ability to make independent decisions when necessary; ability to promote positive interaction with residents, visitors, families and community.
Requires significant physical exertion to assist people with activities of daily living which may include lifting up to 50 pounds with resident or staff assistance and other physical activities including but not limited to standing, walking, carrying, bending, reaching stooping, stair climbing, transporting, etc.
Possible exposure to emotional situations; possible exposure to challenging behaviors.
Agency vehicles, computer, copier, telephone, fax and various other office equipment, household appliances, cleaning supplies and adaptive equipment.
Willingness and ability to work any assigned hours including weekends, overnights, holidays, days, evenings and schedules that may include 24-hour shifts for 16 hours of pay. Ability to concentrate, take initiative, cope with stress, manage multiple tasks, adapt to and remain alert in an unsupervised environment, use independent judgment to accomplish required tasks and secure desired results, maintain composure in all interactions.
Ensures the health and welfare of residents:
- Attend to medical needs; accompanying residents on medical appointments
- Attend to special diet needs and adheres to posted menus
- Perform Delegated Medication Administration and health care related tasks accurately
- Complete/submit unusual incident reports (UIRS) within defined timelines
- Assist residents in maintaining good grooming and presentable appearance
Ensures resident’s safety and maintains clean, sanitary environment:
- Through effective supervision, ensures resident’s safety within the home environment and during community activities including safe transport
- Ensure resident’s safety in regards to fire and severe weather
- Ensure home is clean and safe and assists with all housekeeping tasks
- Food is handled and prepared in a safe, sanitary manner
- Report unsafe conditions to supervisors and maintenance in a timely manner
- Except for allowable sleep time, remains awake/alert in accord with resident’s need for supervision and assistance
Provides needed support to each resident:
- Provides for the special needs of residents (communication, social, emotional, behavioral supports, mental health, etc.)
- Actively promotes/ensures resident rights
- Actions reflect RHA’s mission, philosophy and values
- Acts as a role model and provides positive reinforcement
- Adheres to the concepts of individual choices and self-determination
Implements and documents all program components while adhering to agency policies/procedures:
- Become familiar with all components of resident’s Individual Service Plans (ISP)
- Implement and document all Individual service plans (ISPS), behavior plans, medication administration
- Properly utilize and document all other agency forms
- Ensure receipts for purchases are maintained, recorded and submitted within guidelines
- Assist residents with making purchases and maintains/forwards receipts where required
- Maintains positive relationships with residents, their families/advocates, agency staff, other DD related personnel and the community
- Works cooperatively and effectively with all team members
- Accepts directions from supervisors
- Attends and actively participates in meetings/trainings as directed and in compliance with policies and procedures
- Verbal and written communication is professional, courteous, clear and concise
- Practices confidentiality in all communications
- Recognize that although the job is performed in a home environment it is your work environment and behavior at all times needs to reflect professionalism
- Maintain proper attire at all times; clothing must be appropriate for scheduled activities/appointments